In the record of their marriage in the Barbour Collection, John is named as a son of Nicholas Bates, and the father of Esther Banks is named as Thomas Banks. John Bates is named as a son in the 1741 will of Nicholas Bates of Danbury, Connecticut.
John pre-deceased Esther in 1778 in Redding, Connecticut. He left a will naming his 8 children living at the time. Esther died in Redding in 1780 with her estate being probated March 20, 1780.
Children of John and Esther (Banks) Bates:
- Ezra Bates, b. July 20, 1753, d. March 15, 1754
- Mary Bates, b. March 14, 1755, m. John Pickett
- Ruth Bates, b. 1757, m. Enos Lee, Jr.
- Ezra Bates, b. March 11, 1760, d. May 7, 1835
- John Bates, b. July 25, 1762
- Sarah Bates, b. ca 1765
- Esther Bates
- Nathan Bates, b. January 14, 1772, d. June 25, 1855
- Aaron Bates, b. 1772
Copyright © 2016 Deborah Garber