Henry married Christina Kuhns, daughter of Henry and Catharine (Leibensperger) Kuhns, around 1809, based on the birth date of their oldest child. Henry and Christina settled in what is present day Cook Township, Pennsylvania and he is found in the United States census for the years 1830, 1840, 1850 and 1860. In 1870, Henry and Christina are listed in the US census in the household of their son Henry and his family. They are living in Ligonier Township on a farm valued at $3,000.
Henry Karns died January 12, 1873 in Ligonier Township and is buried in Karns Cemetery. He wrote his will July 9, 1853 in which he named his wife Christina, his sons, Jacob, George and Henry, and his daughters Mary Shirey, Martha Fisher, Catherine McDowell and Eliza Brooch (deceased). His son, Jacob Karns, and son-in-law, George Brooch, were his executors. The will was proved January 23, 1873.
Children of Henry Karns and Christina (Kuhns) Karns (all born in Westmoreland, PA):
- Daniel Karns*, b. October 30, 1811
- Catherine Karns, b. July 16, 1814; m. January 16, 1834, James McDowell; d. August 17, 1888, Cedar Township, Lucas, Iowa
- George Karns, b. October 16, 1815; m. Mary Shirey; d. October 14, 1897, Youngstown, Pennsylvania
- Jacob Karns, b. January 9, 1818; m. April 18, 1844, Rosannah Wills; d. July 30, 1877, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
- Magdalena (Martha) Karns, b. October 1, 1820; m. October 13, 1842, Christian Fisher; d. November 10, 1890
- John Karns*, b. ca 1821
- William Karns*, b. ca 1822
- Elizabeth Karns, b. May 6, 1823; m. November 9, 1843, George Brough; d. December 31, 1852
- Anna Christina Karns*, b. November 8, 1825
- Mary Ann Karns, b. May 28, 1828; m. December 16, 1847, George Shirey; d. August 14, 1917, Youngstown, Pennsylvania
- Henry Karns, b. February 22, 1831; m. October 21, 1852, Matilda Ann Ambrose; d. July 11, 1896, Pennsylvania
* The only source I have for this individual is Descendants of Nicholas Kern (ca 1693 - 1749) of Northern Lehigh County, Pennsylvania by Donald W. Kern, p. 37. This person was not named in the will of Henry Karns, and I have not found vital records.
Copyright © 2015, Deborah Garber